Butterflies! Moths! Come see my insects!

Hello everybody !

On the18th of July, we took off for the west of the country, direction Hobulaid (Horse Isle in English). As its name indicates, wild horses used to live on the island, but everything changed when a forest grew there. Our tasks was to restore meadows on Hobulaid.

Once we were all arrived to the port, we went by boat to the island (it took us 2 trips, as always). We were welcomed to a very lovely cottage, very close to the sea, as well as a windmill. As per usual, the first evening was free for us to relax, we all went on a walk by the beach, and when the sun set, an entomologist caught some insects and talked to us about insects (he has been an entomologist for about 50 years).

Some just want to see the world burn.

The next day, after a good breakfast (we were helped with the cooking by the owners of the cottage), we made our way to the working area, about 15-20 minutes away by walk. We cut down some trees (our sawministers did, anyway) as well as bushes to clear a part of the forest. We had our lunches and dinners back at the cottages, and I myself enjoyed a few naps in the hammock (which made me miss another walk on the beach).

At night, we went into the sauna, swimming in the sea and singing with a guitar. While they mostly sang in Estonian (one thing I came to realise here is that they really love to sing), we sang Frère Jacques in canon, it was a beautiful and special moment for me. We went back home on Sunday (the 21st).

PS: I realised afterwards that I forgot my headband on the island. Not the first or last time I would forget something here in Estonia. Sob, my blue towel ! I miss you so much....

Beautiful people on a beautiful island.